Leaving a legacy is such a valuable way of helping unwanted, neglected and injured animals now, and for many years to come.
People often think of planned giving as the money they leave in their will, but there are other ways the PEI Humane Society can benefit from planned giving. Legacy gifts are unexpected and often help impact the animals in a positive way. The funds can be used for a variety of things including equipment purchases or programming to help more animals and community outreach.
Some Ways You Can Make a Difference
- Remember the animals in your will
- Name the PEI Humane Society as a beneficiary of your RRSP or RRIF
- Name the PEI Humane Society as a beneficiary of a life insurance policy
- Invest in a Charitable Gift Annuity
- Establish a Charitable Remainder Trust
- Gifts of cash
- Gifts of Appreciated Property Gifts
- Gifts of Real Estate
- Gifts of Securities
- Wish list
Remember the animals in your Will
In addition to remembering loved ones and special friends, your will can make a big difference to the animals when you make a gift of either cash or property.
Name the PEI Humane Society as a beneficiary of your RRSP or RRIF
Donors no longer have to pass these assets through their estates when they gift them to a charity to be eligible to receive the tax receipt in the year of death.
Name the PEI Humane Society as a beneficiary of a life insurance policy
Options include giving the PEI Humane Society an old policy; designating the Society as a beneficiary of an existing policy; or taking out a new policy and designating the Society as the irrevocable owner and beneficiary.
Invest in a Charitable Gift Annuity
This is an excellent financial vehicle for donors who are 70 years or older and can afford to invest at least $10,000.
Establish a Charitable Remainder Trust
This type of gift is most suitable for those aged 70 plus, who are able to invest $100,000 or more in the trust.
Other ways that you can help
- Gifts of Cash: A cash donation can go immediately to helping the Island’s companion animals.
- Gifts of Appreciated Property: Gifts of certain types of securities and real estate are very popular and provide you with better tax benefits than cash gifts.
- Our Wish List: There are many products and services that the PEI Humane Society can use in both its operations and its fundraising.